Come join Smudge Ink as our stationery Designer and help us continue to grow by bringing your design skills, humor, enthusiasm, and attention to detail to our line of paper goods. We can't wait work with you!Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing fresh, new designs for Smudge Ink’s wholesale card and gift line based on our current look and industry research. The Designer must be able to push the envelope by introducing new ideas and techniques that will help further develop our line while remaining true to our vision.
- Researching and understanding current trends in the fashion, stationery, and home décor industries.
- Submitting designs promptly based on the given release schedule. Working with others to make sure product releases are efficient and organized.
- Regularly discussing feedback, sales analysis, scheduling, and projects.
- Preparing design files and ordering polymer plates for production as needed. Printing and delivering all spec sheets to Print Manager for each new product.
- Working on special design projects as needed (example: company holiday card, custom mailings, custom projects).
- Assisting with trade shows (e.g. NY Now).
- Managing your time as you juggle designing for our wholesale line, for licensing opportunities, and in-house projects.
Hours: 40 hours a weekStart date: January 2024
- Experience in graphic design is required
- Very strong Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop skills
- Strong organizational and communication skills required
- Must be a flexible and reliable team player
- Knowledge of both Mac and PC platforms
- Experience with Procreate is desirable
- Social media experience (Instagram, TikTok) is desirable
- Basic knowledge of the letterpress printing is desirable
- College degree preferred
To apply for this position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Subject line: DESIGN POSITION
- An email expressing your interest in the position as well as an attachment or link to your resume
- A link to samples of your design work
- A PDF of 1 letterpress birthday card design that you think fits cohesively into our line. We understand that all artists have a signature style however, we are looking for a candidate who can adapt to and interpret our brand style. Keep this in mind for this portion of the application.
As part of the application process, anyone considered for the position will be asked to participate in Round Two which involves an in-person meeting as well as the submission of additional designs.
Smudge Ink is a small team of illustrators, printers, and creatives brought together by our devotion to snail mail, letterpress printing, and playful design. We create charming, magic-filled paper goods for every day. From the initial sketch to the final print run, we prioritize quality and thoughtfulness in both design and production. Smudge Ink is a tribute to the essence of American-made, woman-owned, and eco-conscious values; a testament to the happiness that art brings. Each card is meticulously letterpressed with love – a tangible expression of authenticity, belonging, and style that sparks emotion. We love that what we do helps others share comfort, happiness, and joy!
Smudge Ink is in Acton, Massachusetts.
We will update this page and our Instagram when we have an open position. Thank you so much for your interest!